WE ARE THE CHURCH!
Sharing our time and talents to help meet the needs in our community and church is a very important part of membership in Lewinsville Presbyterian Church. By committing to participate in some way in the life of our church community, we enable ourselves and others to grow in faith, and we also become more deeply connected to one another.
If you are interested in learning more about the many volunteer opportunities available at Lewinsville, review the many opportunities below, then click on the email link to get in touch with the Ministry Group chair. Or you can call the church office at (703)356-7200, or email our Volunteer Coordinator Karen Flagg. What particular skills or interests do you feel God is calling you to use at Lewinsville Presbyterian Church?
Lewinsville Presbyterian Church is blessed to have several social groups that regularly meet for friendship and fun. The Adult Club group of older adults meets monthly after church for lunch. Contact Billie Hiemstra for more information. The Second Saturday Set is an adult group that gathers on the second Saturday evening in different homes for fun and support. Contact Cathy Gaugler for more information. The Men’s Breakfast Group is a group of retired men that meets for breakfast on alternate Wednesday mornings at 7:45AM at McLean Family Restaurant. Contact Steve Stephenson (703-938-8120) for more information. Single Seniors gather for sharing and fellowship monthly on Fridays at 11:30AM in the Lewinsville Chapel. Contact Lois Dokken for more information. The Lewinsville Sluggers, a perennial pennant threat, is a coed group of all ages that plays softball in the fall Fairfax County slow pitch league. Contact Scott Conley for more information. The Young Adult Group meets to share, laugh, and grow together through changing times in life. Contact Kate Satterstrom or Elizabeth Steel for more information.
Lewinsville Presbyterian Church is blessed to have so many people that give their time, treasure, and talent to the church.
Each month, we will thank of one of the social or service groups that are a part of the
Congregational Care and Membership Ministry Group.
Please feel free to reach out to the contact person if you are interested in hearing more about the group’s activities or joining in.
- Sing in our choirs – Adult, Youth, Child
- Participate in our Handbell choirs – Adult, Youth, Child
- Prepare Communion
- Serve Communion (Lewinsville members only)
- Arrange Flowers
- Prepare our Sanctuary for worship
- Be a Lay Reader
- Help with sound/video system
- Musicians: be available to participate in worship
- Join a social group, Bible study group, ChristCare group or service group
- Be a Greeter
- Host Inquirers’ Class (new member class)
- Contact visitors/help with visitor-oriented events
- Prepare Coffee Hour
- Help with hospitality for fellowship events or memorial/funeral services
- Take extended communion to shut-ins
- Deliver Flowers
- Drive others to church
- Assist with annual picnic or LRR/Lewinsville picnic
- Help provide childcare during Sunday services
- Keep in touch with new mothers and fathers (Cradle Roll)
- Create/send greeting cards or knit shawls/lap robes for shut-ins
- Assist with Blood Drives
- Teach or assist with Sunday School Classes – Pre-school, Elementary, Junior & Senior High, Confirmation, Adults
- Plan curriculum
- Be a Confirmation class mentor or assistant
- Assist with Puppet Ministry
- Be a Youth Group advisor
- Participate in our Young Families Ministry
- Read to or mentor young children
- Mentor teenagers or young mothers
- Serve breakfast or dinners to homeless
- Help at retirement homes
- Participate in building houses (locally or the annual Summer Mission Project)
- Help at area food bank or clothing drive
- Assist with Lewinsville’s Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Help plan faith and public policy events
- Assist with Lewinsville’s Website
- Become a Lewinsville Photographer
- Contact local media and advertising outlets
- Become a Communications Committee member
- Help with Stewardship Campaign
- Prepare monthly newsletter for mailing
- Assist with church finance
- Help with building and/or grounds maintenance
- Help with cemetery records
- Provide administrative help
- Willing to be on On-Call list when short term or one-time help is needed
SANCTUARY CLEAN-UP! Many hands make light work … and we need a few more hands to help keep our sanctuary tidy and ready for worship each Sunday!
The job involves sharpening pencils and organizing the pew racks ONCE a month and takes one person about 90 minutes to accomplish. This is a great job to do with a partner. Can you help? Full instructions and training provided. Please call or email Bettie McElroy (703-237-0358 or email@example.com).