A rich Sunday morning educational program that explores the Christian faith for all ages is presented every Sunday morning. Children ages two through sixth graders can learn the story of God’s Salvation Sunday mornings from 9:45 am – 10:45 a.m for all children except Elementary. This year, the Elementary grades will begin at 9:30 a.m. Through play, arts & crafts, games, drama, storytelling, videos and kitchen arts, children are led through the stories of the Old Testament and the stories of Jesus. Then during the 11:00 worship service, children ages 4 through grade 2 are invited to exit the service for their own Sermon Stories activities.
Classes for all children except elementary grades begin at 9:45 a.m.
and run for one hour.
Elementary grades begin at 9:30 a.m. and end at 10:45 a.m.
Sermon Stories occurs during the 11:00 am service of worship.
Nursery and Childcare:
Child care is available in two different rooms in lower Heritage Hall for infants/toddlers and for preschool/kindergarten children. Two certified child-care attendants staff the infant/toddler room and parent volunteers staff the preschool/kindergarten room during every service. The nursery, or infant/toddler room, is available for infants and toddlers up to age 3, and the preschool/kindergarten room is for children ages 3-5. However, children age 4 and 5 (through Grade 2) are encouraged to attend worship with their parents and participate in Sermons Stories held during the 11:00 am service of worship. A beautiful new tot lot adjacent to Heritage Hall provides a safe and attractive outdoor play area for preschool/kindergarten aged children.
This program is designed to start the young child in learning Bible stories in the most age-appropriate way: through play. Each month one story from the Bible will be presented. The story will be told and then the children are invited to play with puzzles, puppets, action figures, sand play and more that relate to the story. By doing this the child becomes familiar with the Bible story and internalizes it.
Partnering with Parents. For information about the stories learned, follow the links on the Bible-in-a-Box schedule.
Godly Play is a term coined by Jerome Berryman to describe an approach to children’s spiritual formation that is based on creating a sacred space in which to present the stories of our faith, wonder about them together, and then allow the children open-ended opportunities, usually with art supplies, to engage the story on their own terms
The stories are told very simply, with simple props and without interpretation or moral instruction. After a story is presented, the children and the storyteller wonder together about aspects of the story that draw their interest. The story is then put away and the children choose the art supplies they would like to work with to spend time creating whatever they choose in response to what they feel is most important or most interesting in the story.
Partnering with Parents. For information about the stories learned, follow the links on the Godly Play schedule!
What happens in the Rotation?
Kids explore one Bible story for two to four weeks, attending a different workshop each week. In every workshop, kids open the Bible and dig into the story in lively, age-appropriate ways. Workshop options include: art, Bible skills and games, computer lab, cooking, creative drama, music, science, and video. Every lesson is rooted firmly in the Bible.
- 9:30-9:45 a.m. GATHER, PREPARATION & REVIEW (Room 1)
- Kids and leaders begin their day by Gathering together for an Opening and warm-up activity.
- 9:45-10:00 a.m. OPEN THE BIBLE (Room 5 & 7)
- Students are then encouraged to open their Bibles and explore the day’s story.
- Each Sunday School participant will be given his/her own Spark Bible or Bible Story Bible to use during Sunday School. These Bibles feature stickers that introduce Bible-marking methods to help connect kids with the Bible. The Bible also includes kid-friendly introductions to the books of the Bible, along with definitions, facts, trivia, and questions to help kids think about their faith. The Bibles will be gifted to the children in 1st grade and 3rd grade at the conclusion of the Sunday School year.
- 10:00-10:45 a.m. ACTIVATE FAITH WORKSHOPS
- Kids will get moving and become engaged in the story they just read by participating in various workshops.
- The children will be divided into two groupings: Upper Elementary (grades 3-6) and Lower Elementary (grades 1-2) for their workshops. Each workshop will be designed for these two groupings of children so that the activities are age-appropriate.
SPECIAL SUNDAY EVENTS
Periodically during the program year, special events for the whole family have been scheduled.
- November 26 – Advent Workshop
- December 3 – Preschool Angel Breakfast
- April 1 – Easter Event and Egg Hunt
FAMILY WORSHIP A more casual, interactive time of worship that will involve the whole family. These services will take place in the Sanctuary during the Education Hour on Sunday morning (9:45-10:45 a.m.).
INTERGENERATIONAL EVENTS Several events are placed in the 2017-18 program year to bring together the whole Lewinsville family for a special time of fellowship and education centered around a season of the church year.
- December 17 – Special Christmas Event: “The Upside Down Kingdom”
- February 11 – Shrove Celebration & Pancake Brunch-start of Lent
- May 20 – Pentecost Celebration/Worship
There are no church school classes during July and August.
Nursery IS provided.
Lewinsville provides SERMON STORIES for children ages 4 through Grade 2 during worship. Read more here >>