~ CURRENT SUNDAY MORNING CLASSES ~
Adult Education classes are offered each Sunday morning.
Due to the Renovation and limited space, this fall Adult Education will hold only one class per module in the Sanctuary, 9:30-10:30 am.
A Note about Recording our Adult Education Classes – Click Here
MODULE 1: September 19 – October 24
Do (or should) Christians have a unique, faith-based perspective on major issues of public policy? At a time of growing partisan tension and rancor, we will hold another session of the Lewinsville Forum, our long-running venue for looking at specific public policy issues through the eyes of faith.
We are still mulling topics but expect to cover our obligations as Christians to Afghan refugees, the implications of growing white nationalism, how to think about whether the United States is a Christian nation and dealing with the legacy of slavery. The facilitators would welcome specific suggestions for other topics which can be sent to Linton.email@example.com. The discussions in each week will be self-contained, so participants can attend as many or as few sessions as they wish. All classes will be in the Sanctuary; we are still investigating simultaneous online participation.
The goal of these sessions is not to arrive at “the answer” but to see how our faith colors our approach to any alternative. The facilitators have both served in government, one in a senior position in a Democratic Congress and the other in senior positions in the executive branch under Republican Presidents. Their goal will be to force us to confront the implications of our faith, not to evaluate (much less promote) specific partisan solutions.
Leaders: David Morrison, Linton Brooks
Time: 9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
~ Looking Ahead ~
- SALZMAN LECTURE: October 24 – History, Justice & Race – Charles Chavis
- REFORMATION SUNDAY: October 31 – Jessica Tate/NEXT Church
- MODULE 2: November 7 – 21 – Lewinsville’s History with Slavery
- ADVENT MODULE: November 28 – December 19 – Rejoice! Reflection of Four Advent Hymns
- MODULE 3: January 2 – 30 – Class led by Bruce Douglass. Topic TBD
- ANNUAL MEETING: Sunday, February 6 – No CE
- MODULE 4: February 13 – 27 – tbd
- LENTEN STUDIES: March 6, 7, & 8 – Carlos Cardoze-Orlandi
- LENTEN MODULE: March 13 – April 3 – tbd
- PALM SUNDAY: April 10 – Special Session – tbd
- EASTER SUNDAY: April 17 – No CE
- MODULE 5: April 24 – May 29 – tbd
- SUMMER MODULE: June 2 – 30 – TBD
~ CURRENT WEEKDAY CLASS ~
WEDNESDAY BIBLE STUDY with Bag Lunch
NOTE: During the Covid-19 Pandemic, this class is meeting each Wednesday @11:30 via Zoom. Watch for the Thursday Update with login instructions. Or call the church office at 703-356-7200 during morning office hours to be added to the Bible Study list.
Each WEDNESDAY, a weekly Wednesday Bible Study will be held in the Chapel from 11:30 am – 1:00 pm. The Bible study will generally involve an exploration of the biblical text that will be preached the following Sunday. The study will usually be facilitated by Rev. Scott Ramsey or whoever will be preaching the next Sunday.
Bring a bag lunch, a Bible, and a curious heart and mind. We’ll have fun digging into the Scriptures! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to Scott .
ABOUT CHRISTIAN EDUCATION AT LEWINSVILLE
Lewinsville offers a variety of classes and special events to guide us during the program year in our individual and corporate journeys of faith, discovery, discernment, and service.
Lively discussions on faith and social issues. Look for our “Faith & Public Policy” classes during select modules during the year.
Probing Biblical and theological study. Each Adult Education module includes a course on the Bible and/or theology.
Life skills and religion and the arts. Our Adult Education classes include one course in this subject area.
Family of Faith Focus. We have an ongoing group of parents who explore what it means and how to raise children in our reformed tradition.
Multiple times and places for learning, including online. Even if you can’t attend all sessions of a class during the 9:45–10:45 hour on Sunday mornings, come when you can. Watch for our annual Lenten Studies program during Lent with a Biblical scholar, our Salzman Lecture each fall, and special Inter-generational events with an education focus.
Faith has been described as belief, commitment, relationship, and mystery. Lewinsville’s adult education program, Christ Care groups, women’s circles, faith and public policy breakfasts, and men’s and women’s retreats are opportunities to explore these dimensions of faith with others.
RECORDING ADULT EDUCATION CLASSES:
An Update from the Adult Education Committee
The adult education committee has received several requests to record classes. We recognize the value of being able to revisit a class, catch up with a missed class session, or share a session with a family member or friend. At the same time, we’re aware of privacy concerns and the concern that recording may make participants self-conscious and uncomfortable to share personal observations. To balance these considerations, we will use the following criteria to decide which classes to record:
- The leaders/speakers associated with a class, and with individual class sessions, are the primary judges of whether a class is appropriate for recording. They hold veto power over recording a class series or session.
- As a rule, we believe that classes that consist mostly of presentation with some Q&A are more appropriate for recording than those that consist primarily of discussion.
- Regardless of the proportion of presentation and discussion/Q&A, we will not record classes which invite participants to share opinions on potentially-sensitive political or policy questions, or to share personal experiences.
- We will always let participants know if a class is being recorded. Notice that the class will be recorded will appear in the class write up in the Newsletter and Thursday Mail along with the ZOOM link.
If you have any questions or thoughts about class recording, please feel free to share them with any member of the Adult Education Committee or Cathy Saunders, the chair.