We Welcome Children to Participate in Worship!
Beginning September 12, 2021, we will offer nursery care for infants and toddlers in the Bethany Room, immediately behind the Sanctuary. Our child care providers are fully vaccinated and will be masked. They will be available beginning at 10:30 am each Sunday. Read Pastor Scott’s letter about nursery care here.
Beginning September 26, 2021, children, ages 4 through Grade 2, are invited to exit the 11:00 am worship service following the Children’s Meditation for Sermon Stories.
To keep our children safe, all participants will be required to wear a face mask and Sermon Stories will meet outside on the church’s front porch area for activities.
At the conclusion of the sermon, children will return to the sanctuary and their parents for the end of the service. Sermon Stories will not meet on Messy Church Sundays (the third Sunday of every month), when the children are invited to participate with their families in this alternative family worship event.
NOTE: The information below remains here for your information only. During our renovations, most services are not available and we invite children to pick up Worship Bags as described above.
Lewinsville enthusiatically welcomes your growing family and we recognize that God put the wiggle in children. So we have the options listed below to help you enjoy the church experience:
- Nursery on the lower level for children, birth through age 3 (Not Available during our Building Renovation Process)
- Narthex Center with puzzles, games and toys. Parents can hear and see the service from the Narthex while their children play in the narthex area (Not available during our Building Renovation process)
- Children’s Bulletins received from the ushers which contain puzzles and activities for children to do at their seats in the pews
- For the Children’s Meditation, children are invited to come to the chancel area for a brief talk with the pastor. This focus with our children occurs on Sundays when communion is not served. Immediately following the children’s meditation, children are invited to attend Sermon Stories.
- Sermon Stories (at the 11:00 am service, 10:00 am during the summer) for children age 4 through grade 2 (see below). Note that on Messy Church Sundays (the third Sunday of every month), the children are invited to participate with their families in this alternative family worship event. CLICK HERE for more info about Messy Church.
Suggestions for Parents and Other Worshipers
Relax! Your family is important here, and children are important participants in worship. God put the wiggle in children. Don’t feel you have to suppress it in God’s house.
- Sit in a place where it will be easy for the children to see and to hear.
- Introduce your child to people sitting nearby.
- Let your children use the floor and pew as their own area. Kneeling on the floor allows children to use the pew as a desk. Standing on the pew allows children to see what’s going on.
- Use gentle touch: an arm around your child’s shoulder, your hands in his/hers to give reassurance and appropriate attention.
- Explain parts of the service (quietly). Use their questions as opportunities to teach them about faith, and how we live it out in worship.
- Help your child find the pages in the Hymnal and the Bible. (Don’t be distressed if they don’t find the proper page).
- Sing the hymns, and encourage your child to sing as well. It’s less important that they’re singing correctly, and more important that they’re singing and participating.
- Encourage your children to stand when the congregation stands, even if they can’t read or don’t yet know the responses.
- Pray and voice the responses. Children learn liturgical behavior by copying yours.
- Baptized children are welcome to receive the Lord’s Supper. Continue to nurture and instruct them in the significance of the Lord’s Supper and the meaning of their response.
- Encourage your child to participate in the Children’s Meditation. If he or she is reluctant to go forward then go forward with your child.
- Younger children sometimes have particular difficulty participating in the entire worship service. Feel free to leave the sanctuary to care for your child if he or she becomes disruptive. A nursery is available downstairs for infants/toddlers and there is a volunteer staffed classroom for preschool/kindergarten age children.
- In addition, you may accompany your child to the Narthex to make use of the toys put there for them. The sound system broadcasts the sanctuary sound into the Narthex.
- Always remember that the way we welcome children in church directly affects the way they respond to church, God and Christ. Let them know that they are at home in worship at Lewinsville!