We Welcome Children to Participate in Worship!
At Lewinsville, we invite children to come to worship with their parents. At the 11:00 am service of worship (10:00 am during the summer), children ages 4 through grade 2 may attend SERMON STORIES with our Director of Christian Education Allison Lineberger. Children who attend return to re-join their parents after the sermon.
There will be NO Sermon Stories for the month of August
Suggestions for Parents and Other Worshippers
Relax! Your family is important here, and children are important participants in worship. God put the wiggle in children. Don’t feel you have to suppress it in God’s house.
- Sit in a place where it will be easy for the children to see and to hear.
- Introduce your child to people sitting nearby.
- Let your children use the floor and pew as their own area. Kneeling on the floor allows children to use the pew as a desk. Standing on the pew allows children to see what’s going on.
- Use gentle touch: an arm around your child’s shoulder, your hands in his/hers to give reassurance and appropriate attention.
- Explain parts of the service (quietly). Use their questions as opportunities to teach them about faith, and how we live it out in worship.
- Help your child find the pages in the Hymnal and the Bible. (Don’t be distressed if they don’t find the proper page).
- Sing the hymns, and encourage your child to sing as well. It’s less important that they’re singing correctly, and more important that they’re singing and participating.
- Encourage your children to stand when the congregation stands, even if they can’t read or don’t yet know the responses.
- Pray and voice the responses. Children learn liturgical behavior by copying yours.
- Baptized children are welcome to receive the Lord’s Supper. Continue to nurture and instruct them in the significance of the Lord’s Supper and the meaning of their response.
- Encourage your child to participate in the Children’s Meditation. If he or she is reluctant to go forward then go forward with your child.
- Younger children sometimes have particular difficulty participating in the entire worship service. Feel free to leave the sanctuary to care for your child if he or she becomes disruptive. A nursery is available downstairs for infants/toddlers and there is a volunteer staffed classroom for preschool/kindergarten age children.
- In addition, you may accompany your child to the Narthex to make use of the toys put there for them. The sound system broadcasts the sanctuary sound into the Narthex.
- Always remember that the way we welcome children in church directly affects the way they respond to church, God and Christ. Let them know that they are at home in worship at Lewinsville!