2022-2023 PROGRAM and SCHEDULE AVAILABLE HERE!
Register Your Family for Messy Church
What is Messy Church?
Messy Church is an all age worship experience that explores God’s love in an accessible way. At Messy Church today’s busy households of all shapes and sizes are invited into a welcoming space to experience faith. Messy Church usually meets once a month. Everyone is welcomed as they are. Whether you are single or partnered, young or old, tidy or messy, have questions or doubts, are filled with joy or struggling with life you will be welcomed at Messy Church.
What to expect at Messy Church
Messy Church is Fun. All ages gather to engage in activities, crafts and games that bring the month’s biblical story to life. Messy Church is Faith. Following the activities and crafts, all ages join in a short celebration with an interactive bible story, music and prayer. Messy Church is Food. Each Messy Church concludes with a meal. Sitting at the table with new and old friends sharing the stories of our real and messy lives!
The principles of Messy Church are:
- To provide an opportunity for people of all ages to worship together
- To help people of all ages feel that they belong in church and to each other
- To help people have fun together
- To give people a chance to express their God-given creativity
- To invite people into an experience of Christian community
- To introduce people to Jesus through hospitality, friendship, stories, and worship.
Values of Messy Church
Christ-centered: Messy Church is a church, not a craft club that helps people to encounter and enter into a transforming relationship with Jesus. Messy Church believes with the historic churches, in one God who is Creator, Redeemer and Sustainer (or in traditional language, Father, Son and Holy Spirit).
All-age: Messy Church is for adults and children to enjoy together. Every element should be relevant and accessible to all ages.
Creativity: Messy Church uses hands-on activities to explore Bible stories, to reflect a God of creativity and to give people a chance to play together.
Celebration: Messy Church reflects a God of joy who wants all of God’s people to have life in all its fullness.
Hospitality: Messy Church reflects a God of unconditional love and is a church for people outside of a traditional church, providing an oasis of welcome and a safe place in which to thrive. Messy Church is about hospitality, expressed most evidently by eating together- whether it’s a plate of sandwiches to share, a full course meal or pizza.
Messy Church Introductory Video
The Messy Church Movement
Messy Church began at a small church in England in 2004 by founder Lucy Moore. Bible Reading Fellowship, a charity in the UK is the global home for Messy church. Today there are close to 4000 Messy Churches throughout the world. Messy Churches are led by laity and clergy from a large variety of denominations including Espiscopalian, Salvation Army, United Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, and United Church of Christ and many more.
Messy Church @Lewinsville 2022-2023
Messy Church is a way of being church for all-ages to join in experiencing fun and faith formative activities. The Messy Church Celebration operates once a month and is a time for families to come together to enjoy being together, making things together, eating together and celebrating God together through His word, through music and through prayer. Messy Church is church, but not as you know it!
Messy Church at Lewinsville returns for the 2022-23 program year meeting in Fellowship Hall on the third Sunday of each month, 9:30-11:00 a.m. beginning September 18th.
Messy Church Celebration schedule and themes:
September 18 A Garden, A Tower & God’s Amazing Power
October 16 God’s Incredible Rescue Plan
November 20 Excuse Me, God Would Like a Word with You
December 18 Jesus Comes to Earth
January 15 Jesus Calling
February 26* Teachings, Preaching & Prayer
March 19 A New Commandment
April 16 He’s Alive
May 21 The Holy Spirit
June 11* Paul Does God’s Work
June 11* Paul and the Search for the Lost Souls
*(not the third Sunday)
On the Sundays when the Messy Church Celebration does not meet, four extended programs will be offered 9:30-10:30 a.m. for children, youth and adults:
- Joyful Noise/Godly Play for children ages 3-5. Children will split their time between Joyful Noise and Godly Play. Children will first meet in the Joyful Noise music room (L17) to sing and play musical games and instruments. The second half of the morning children will meet in the Godly Play room (L04) for Bible stories and crafts.
- Mini Mess for children grades 1-6*. Children will meet in the Mini Mess room (L02) for a more in depth exploration of the Messy Church Celebration theme through crafts, games, and learning activities. *(6th grade is a transition year. Children in this grade are welcome to choose to attend either Mini Mess or participate in the Youth activities)
- Youth Sunday Mornings, grades 6*-12. Youth will meet in the Youth Center (202A & B) for fellowship and Biblical study with Pastor Layne.
- Parent Breakout, parents for children and youth. A support group for parents of preschool-youth, meeting while the children/youth are engaged, for fellowship, parenting devotional discussion, Biblical study and service. Grab a cup of coffee and meet other parents in room L07.