Comfort to the Sick and Grieving
- Grief books: Lewinsville currently has 4 Journeying Through Grief booklets sent to church members after the death of a loved one. See StephenMinistry.org for details on these booklets.
- Hospital Visitation by our pastors, as needed.
- Deacon/Stephen Ministry Callers: Deacons call and check in with homebound members regularly and visit when needed.
- Prayer Shawl Ministry: The Lost Sheep Stitchers provide hand-made shawls and laprobes for those who are homebound or hospitalized.
- Flower Delivery to the Homebound: Flower delivery following Sunday services to members who are hospitalized or homebound.
- Card Ministry: Our Card Ministry sends birthday cards to those with birthdays over age 80 and to members in assisted living facilities, sympathy cards after a death, and new baby congratulations
- Christmas Gift Bags are given to residents at the Lewinsville Retirement Residence and Chesterbrook Residences. Supplies are provided by our Parish Life and Care Ministry Group. Our Youth Fellowship group puts the bags together.
- The Deacon Fund provides short-term assistance for those in our community who have emergency needs.
- Good Samaritan Day happens twice a year. Members of Lewinsville visit the Lewinsville Retirement Residence, Chesterbrook Residences, and homes of older adults in the congregation to provide assistance with minor repairs.
- ChristCare Groups meet twice a month for Bible Study and mutual care and encouragement. The Lewinsville Retirement Residence has a ChristCare group which meets at that location. More information about ChristCare Groups >>
- Stephen Ministers provide one-on-one Christian caring to those who are struggling with illness or personal crisis. More information about Stephen Ministry @Lewinsville >>
- Chesterbrook/Jewish Social Services offers a partnership called At Home Choices to provide resources for counseling, support groups, and aging in place. More Information: JSSA.org >>
- Faith Community Nurse: Betty Yurkewitch works one-on-one with congregants to provide resources and information.
- Transportation to Worship:
- Sunday Morning Yellow Cab rides to church are available
- Transportation to Lewinsville worship services for Lewinsville Retirement Residence residents are also available
- Contact the church office at 703-356-7200 for more information on these services.
- Shepherd’s Center in McLean offers transportation to medical appointments See SCMAFC.org for more information >>
- Jewish Social Services provides a Caregiver Support Group which is open to members of Lewinsville Presbyterian Church, Temple Rodef Shalom and Immanuel Presbyterian Church members as well as caregivers of Chesterbrook residents. The groups meets monthly at Chesterbrook Residences. Registration is required. Caregiver Support Group 2017 >>
Other Caregiving Resources in Virginia
- AARP Virginia: AARP VA raises the visibility of caregiving in Virginia through news and information, provides caregiving presentations and workshops for family and professional caregivers and collaborates with selected organizations to increase access to caregiving services and programs across the Commonwealth. Learn more at www.aarp.org/va
- Virginia Family Caregiver Solution Center: This website provides respite resources for caregivers across the lifespan — parents of children with disabilities and adults with disabilities, as well as for caregivers of older adults as well as services in Virginia communities and educational information. www.virginiafamilycaregiver.org
- Virginia Navigator: The Virginia Navigator family of websites is a Virginia-based resource that provides programs and services available in communities across the Commonwealth. www.virginianavigator.org
- Fairfax County Services for Older Adults: Fairfax County provides a wealth of information on services and other information available to seniors in this area: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dfs/olderadultservices >>
- The McLean Senior Source Service is available for you to call or email 24 hours a day at 703-300-1751, firstname.lastname@example.org. Trained Volunteers will meet with you or your family members, friends, neighbors and caregivers at the McLean Community Center on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 10 am to 2 pm. MSS Volunteers are inspirational in their kindness, caring, dedication and sense of community. McLean Senior Source saves you hours of search and research in seeking out helpful resources. Issues on which McLean residents have been helped span PRACTICAL LIVING CONCERNS such as Daily Living Solutions, Financial Help and Management, Health and Wellness, Housing Solutions, Insurance, Legal Services, Transportation and ACTIVITIES such as Community Involvement, Entertainment/ Relaxation, Learning (esp. computers), Recreational Facilities and Social Connections.